Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Imagination Unexpected

  When Brandon was diagnosed I was told that typically with Autistic children there is not really a sense of humor and that imagination is lacking because they tend to take things in a more  literal sense.Well whenever I am told something like this I am determined to see if I can change that, this would be yet another aspect of Autism I would not accept unless absolutely necessary, maybe he just needed to be taught what imagination was.
   We started with just little noises, bird sounds, snake hisses and things like that and saying I'm a bird, I'm a snake and then I would run around the house with arms out saying I'm a plane and he would mimic me and do the same. I figured, okay he's just copying me but at least it was a start, the issue of a sense of humor being taught I wasn't really sure of how to get that even started though, so it would have to wait and maybe it would come to me, one thing at a time.
   One day when we were doing our imagination therapy, that's what I will call it, we were crawling on the floor and roaring like lions, then we were lifting our trunks like elephants and of course he was still just copying me. Well as we were being elephants , Brandon decided we should be dogs, I thought this was great that he was actually wanting to get in on the act of what we would imagine. So as Brandon and I were crawling and barking like dogs, I heard him what I thought was hissing behind me, I was thinking now we were going to be snakes, but as I turned around I realized I was wrong, Brandon had his leg lifted so I asked him what he was doing he said he was a dog peeing and then could not control his laughter, nor could I! Not only did my son have imagination but he also had a sense of  humor.
   He now loves to use his imagination, some days he even says he's the mommy or the daddy and imitates us to make us laugh, that's his sense of humor kicking in, I'm so glad that I didn't accept what was said and tried anyway, I might have missed out on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment